B-1.jpg

Creekside, 1958, oil on canvas, 22 3/8 x 26 in.  Permanent collection Burchfield–Penny Art Center, Buffalo, NY

Faith Davis

Artist Kurt Roesch with Faith Howard Davis

Sarah Lawrence College, 1937

Born in Chicago in 1915, Faith Davis graduated from Buffalo Seminary in 1934 and Sarah Lawrence College in1938.

 

Exhibits and awards include: Carl Bredemeirer Gallery, (1939); Albright Art Gallery Western New York Exhibition (annually, beginning in 1939) in which she won First Prize in 1945, 1946 and 1949; The Junior League Rooms with Bob Blair, Sydney Jennings, Toni Sisti, and Harriet Graff; The Pateran; Toni Sisti Gallery with Cecilia Evans Taylor and Martha Vissert Hooft; Canisius College (First Prize) with George Palmer, Larry Griffiths, Grace MacHendry and Bob Freeland; Kimball Hall with Mary Wright and Taddy Dann, and the Office of Senator Robert F. Kennedy.

 

The artist taught sculpture at Sarah Lawrence College, the Dalton School in NYC, the studio of Mrs. Seymore Knox on Oakland Place in Buffalo, The Art Institute of Buffalo with  Robert Blair, and watercolor classes at Buffalo’s YMCA. She originated the Amherst Art Society and she served as

President of the Buffalo Society of Artists. Davis initiated the Visual Art Program at the Nichols School, a private boy’s school in Buffalo, an award for an art student is given annually in her name. Faith Davis also designed stage sets including: Figaro (1953) and La Boheme (1954) for the New York City Opera Company at Kleinhans Music Hall, The Grand Island playhouse and Studio Theatre on Hoyt Street.

 

Davis was also an art critic for the Buffalo News and guest speaker for television and radio, local art societies and educational institutions.

 

She died unexpectedly in 1967. Her work remains in private collections through out the U.S. and as part of

the Burchfied–Penney Art Center collection in Buffalo, NY. Her family holds a small retrospective collection.

Faith Davis is listed in Benezit Dictionary of Artists.

The Cardinal, 1960, watercolor, 15 x 21 7/8 in.  Permanent collection Burchfield–Penny Art Center, Buffalo, NY